Monday, October 22, 2012

Bloomsday Training week 1

Hmm. I wish I knew a whole lot more about blogs and I could creatively show you my new training plan for Bloomsday next year.

See I was chatting with a friend. And we were talking about a local 5k that was coming up next month, and did we want to train for it and do it. Well right now the cost of races really stops me from doing anything. I'm just broke. constantly. Ok? And we jokingly were talking about the 12k race that we have done before(Bloomsday), and saving our money for entering that one. It's pretty much a 7.46 miles fun run with a t-shirt. It kinda blows my mind sometimes to think that I have done it 4 times. What can I say besides I'm a glutton for punishment? I mean it literally takes about 2.5 hours for us to WALK it. And that's not including potty breaks.

But back to the story. I was saying that we pretty much had 30 weeks(when we were talking about it) to train for it. And well yeah, that's over half a year away. I was all gung-ho and she was hesitant. I talked about how we could start our C25K training over and then we could even train for a half marathon and then only doing 7.46 miles of that would seem like a snap! See? I can be really convincing :0)

She told me I was crazy.

I told her she could do it. And she doesn't give herself enough credit. And we could have a friend come up with a plan for us.

Ok. Let's try.

All the while I didn't know she was having this internal battle about the whole process. See she and I are very much alike. This whole year I've been trying to Finish what I start. I can do the race. Heck I've done it 4 years. But it's the whole training, and figuring out a plan, and actually sticking to it for the next 28 weeks that we can never seem to accomplish. We talk the talk, but we don't walk the walk. And so this time around it's the training and finishing the training that's going to seem like more of a success then actually finishing the race.

So I emailed a friend, and she came up with a 10 week plan for us, that was 10 weeks out from the race. So I ended up making a 28 week one to finish off getting us to that 10 week part. Starting over with C25k training and keeping up the momentum. We recruited another friend to join us, and another one following the plan in a another state and we have a plan!

So now it's game day! And of course. I'm sick. I mean it never fails does it? I come up with this amazing plan, and then I go and get sick. But since it's not in my chest yet, I still plan on doing a Walk away the pounds video here in a little while just to get me started. Man. I always say video. I started doing these when they were videos :-) Now they are DVD's but I will forever be calling them videos!

In essence the plan is to cross train and strength train on Mondays/Wednesdays; C25K (and eventually run) on Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays; Stretching on Sundays; and have a complete rest day on Fridays. And then after the C25k training is done, we are going to incorporate hills on Thursdays because there is a lot of hills in this race. I thought this was genius thinking to do it the day before a complete rest day :0)

So here is a picture of the plan! It looks daunting. And yes. I did thumb tack it to my door so my entire family could see what I'm going to be doing for the next 28 weeks. I plan on highlighting or crossing off the days I have done to see what I do. I'm kind of excited!






28 weeks to go!


1 comment:

2014. A year without the scale defining who I am. A year of finishing what I start.