Sunday, June 16, 2013

Small goal, huge victory?!?

Haha, well Steph, I did say I was going to post more than once didn't I? I better do it then!

At the beginning of the school year, I had made myself a goal. I was not going to buy anything out of the vending machine this ENTIRE school year.

So let's back up on that one. You see, last school year when my mom ended up having surgery and life went out of whack and blah blah blah, I spent a lot of $1 bills on this pack of cookies that had 600 calories in it. I bought a lot of them...and ate them all in one sitting of course. So at the end of the summer I thought it would be a good idea to not buy anything at all the next school year. Because I really didn't want to eat 600 calories worth of cookies every day.

But I didn't tell anyone my goal of course. I don't know why...I guess it was more of an internal goal. But I still made the goal nonetheless and off we went into the school year. Which still brought more trials and unimaginable things that surely I could have eaten my way through. Which, coincidentally I did. Mind you, I just didn't get the food out of the vending machine :)

About halfway through the year I texted my former teacher and told her that I hadn't bought anything all year! She was proud of me haha, because she had bought a lot of the same cookies, just not as many as me ;) And then I did tell my new teacher and other para at some point in the year because we would talk about me not buying anything and how close I was to the end of the year.

Now I still consider this a victory. I held off an entire year and didn't get anything from a vending machine, that might seem silly to some people. But for me it's huge. And the funny thing was, at some point during the year the cookies that I have always gotten got replaced with some chocolate kind so I couldn't have eaten them anyway. 

But it still didn't stop me from getting in the car and going to get a coffee and a cookie from my favorite local coffee shop that is conveniently just up the street from my work. Yes. if I time it right, I can get there, get my coffee and get back in my 15 minute break.  But I didn't buy anything from the vending machine.

It's a black and white thing for me, there isn't much gray. I can either buy things from the vending machine or I can't. As I was doing some grocery shopping today I was looking down the aisle and looking at things going, well I can't have that in the house and I can't have this in the house. It's just not a good thing. I will eat an entire sleeve of graham crackers at a time. I went through a package of golden oreos in 3 days. And I could have done it much sooner too. And don't even ask me to keep Nillas in the house. Or brown sugar pop tarts. And I have been known to eat an entire box of mac and cheese. Just saying.

So at this point, I think that next school year, I probably won't be tempted to buy anything from the machine. It became really easy to not buy the peanuts when I found out I was allergic to them, but I have become so used to just eating the other food I'm allergic to and dealing with the stomach consequences. I'm just letting you know that having 2 Dutch Bros Iced Kickers a day is not so good on my stomach...let alone 1000 calories that I don't need to be drinking. I was actually looking forward to my soy drink yesterday morning. Trying to get through the last week of the move was hard and it was just easier to buy the coffee. Plus my little coffee maker is not working so well, and I don't want to use the 6 cup one all the time. I either will need a new gasket or I will be buying a 3 cup coffee pot soon. :)

Well that was just lots of rambling. I still am going to post about the house a bit, but I need to get my pictures on my computer for that. And that means figuring out my Windows 8 stuff and getting all my stuff transferred from on computer to the other. Oh the joys of being a non tech person!


No comments:

Post a Comment

2014. A year without the scale defining who I am. A year of finishing what I start.