Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day one of gluten and dairy free

Whoah...I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

I'd say today was pretty successful. Minus 2 bowls of fritos and lay's potato chips to tide me over while food was cooking I'd say I did pretty good. Ok..I had a soda too...but it was only 8 oz ;) But I never said anything about giving up soda did I? Oh no I didn't. That's because I probably can count the number on both my hand on how often I drink it. Well this year? I'm 2 for 2. Haha..I normally don't keep it in the house and the had the cute little 8 oz A&W cans...really the only soda I will choose to drink. So I split it up with ice 2 times and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

I discovered that I can easily wait too long to make food. Especially since it's more real foods..I have to take the time to cook it. Which today meant 45 minutes for some brown rice and later over an hour to bake my potato. Because in my little world potatoes don't get cooked in the microwave ;) And so with trying to take the time to make the food I feel into the oh-my-gosh I am starving and ate a handful of chips before lunch and then again for a snack before dinner. I'll get something figured out..so I won't be starving by the time I eat.

So let's see. Today I had coffee, a banana,some fritos,  a salad with brown rice and a can of chicken (like tuna), then some lays,some applesauce, a baked potato, and a chicken breast, and a can of soda. NO dairy and NO gluten! SO in that way it was quite a successful day. I just need to learn to restructure it a little more and add some healthier choices in. All in all I didn't do horrible. I know for sure that I am not going to be putting food in that I don't love. I'm here to live my life, not hate my food. The goal is to come up with some new foods that I might learn to like, but I'm not throwing everything in all at once. I looked at my plate at dinner and thought it could have used a vegetable, but I was eating an hour past everyone else and wasn't going to make a whole can of green beans for myself ;)  Like I said. I'm getting there :0)

So I know that meal planning is going to be a must for me now. I can't just go rummaging around the kitchen trying to find something to eat. Because at that point it's not going to be gluten or dairy free if I'm trying to eat out of convenience. And that defeats the purpose.

I'm also going to have to be sure that I am watching my salt intake. I noticed that I salted my salad as well as the chicken having a lot of salt. And then of course the chips, and then later I made sure not to salt my potato, even though I wanted it because I felt like I had too much for the day. It's all about finding the balance.

So today was off to a good start :) Now on to tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2014. A year without the scale defining who I am. A year of finishing what I start.